Go to start page


Photo: Tomb Photo: Tomb

The area to the east of the palace, the former palace garden, was used as a place to store the ash from the crematorium, bone remains and useless personal belongings of the victims while the palace was being used as a Euthanasia Institute. These were then buried. In December 1944 / January 1945, building rubble like tiles, bricks and furnace bricks were added when the last traces of the 'killing apparatus' were removed.
From October 2001 to May 2002, archaeologists investigated the area. The fact that human remains were discovered, which dated from the years 1939–1945, meant that the regulations of the 'War Graves Welfare Law' were activated. This law states that human remains are to be formally laid to rest and the area concerned is to be declared a cemetery.
The funeral of the mortal remains of the victims took place on 27th September 2002 amid participation of representatives of all confessions and the public. The cemetery is characterised by a symbolic grave, designed by Herbert Friedl, to mark the site.

Contact Details

Lern- und Gedenkort Schloss Hartheim

tel +43 7274 6536-546 
email office(at)schloss-hartheim.at 

Our office is open:
Mon–Thu: 8.30–16.30
Fri: 8.30–13.00

Opening Hours

Mon and Fri: 9.00 – 15.00
Tue – Thu: 9.00 – 16.00
Sunday and holiday: 10.00 – 17.00
Saturday closed


© 2013 Lern- und Gedenkort Schloss Hartheim